Sickness certificates


If you have been sick for up to seven days, you can self–certify your illness using a SC2 form. You can obtain this form from your employer or by visiting the HMRC website. If you are unwell for more than 7 days and are unable to work, you are advised to arrange an appointment to see a health professional to assess your fitness to work.

Statement of Fitness for Work

The Doctor will provide you with a Statement of Fitness for Work (‘Fit Note’) if you are still not well enough to work. Your employer will most likely request this statement as evidence to support payment of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). If you have an ongoing problem that requires a sick line renewal you do not always need to see the GP and this can be requested by speaking to one of our receptionists who will assist you in the correct process.

Further information is available at the Direct.Gov website.

Private certificates

If you or your employer require further information concerning your period(s) of illness, then your Doctor may require to issue you with a letter. Please note that a fee will apply for this service.