Urgent care & minor injuries

Call NHS 24 on 111

  • if it’s outside Practice opening hours (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm) and you have a health concern you feel needs immediate attention
  • to access A&E – the 111 and Lothian Flow Centre teams will assess you and book you into A& E if needed: for life-threatening emergencies continue attend A&E immediately or call 999
  • to access a Minor Injuries Unit – the 111 and Lothian Flow Centre teams will assess you and book you an appointment if needed
  • Children under 12 should still be taken direct to A&E, if you feel it’s needed.

Minor Injuries Units

You must be at least 12 years old to use a Minor Injuries Unit, and be able to make your own way there. Things they can see include:

  • injuries that have happened in the last 14 days
  • something stuck (a foreign body) in your nose or ear
  • wounds less than 24 hours old where bleeding is controlled, with or without a foreign body
  • crush injuries to fingers or toes with no wound
  • ring removal from fingers or toes
  • minor burns or scalds (not involving hands, face or genitals)
  • head and face injuries, apart from those listed below
  • eye injuries, apart from those listed below
  • limb injuries (below shoulder or below knee)
  • animal bites, including insect bites & stings
  • patients with a fracture that needs reviewing, after being treated outside NHS Lothian
  • animal bites with localised swelling and no evidence of allergic reaction

Minor Injury Units can’t help if:

  • you’re 11 years old or under
  • you can’t get there by yourself and need transport
  • you have an injury that happened more than 14 days ago – you’ll need to see your GP
  • you have a wound that happened over 24 hours ago– you’ll need to see your GP
  • you have a head injury with loss of consciousness, vomiting, disturbed vision or altered behaviour
  • you have underlying haematological (blood) conditions or take anticoagulants
  • it involves a human bite
  • you have an injury due to a dangerous cause – for example falling from more than your own height or a road accident at over 40 mph
  • you’re intoxicated or have overdosed
  • you have a minor burn or scald to your neck, face and genitals, and chemical or circumferential burns (where a full thickness burn affects the entire circumference of a digit, extremity, or even the torso)
  • you have an eye injury with visual disturbance or penetrating injury
  • you have an insect bite with swelling in places other than where you got bitten, or evidence of an allergic reaction
  • you have an injury or foreign body to abdomen, chest or back
  • it relates to an unsafe environment or social circumstances