Close this search box.

Advanced physiotherapy

The East Lothian Musculoskeletal Line service detailed below is only for patients who live in the East Lothian Council Tax area. Patients in the City of Edinburgh Council Tax area should self-refer to the Edinburgh Health and Social Care Partnership’s physio team for a routine physio appointment at their Mountcastle or Gracemount sites by following the instructions here on their website, or if urgent then call us and request a GP referral to the Edinburgh physio service.

Patients paying Council tax in East Lothian

If you have a musculoskeletal problem (an issue with your joints, bones or muscles) you can call the health board’s advanced physiotherapy team (also known as the East Lothian Musculoskeletal or MSK Line) direct. You don’t need to call us or need a referral from any other health professional first.

Phoneline open Mon-Fri 9-11.30am

– Call 0300 369 0680 to book an assessment

– Appointments available throughout the day

The MSK team can investigate, diagnose and treat a wide range of problems including those listed below. They can also arrange any tests needed such as X-Rays.

– Muscle, bone or joint pain

– Back pain / sciatica

– Neck pain / whiplash

– Joint pain & stiffness including knee/ shoulder, wrist and hand pain and osteoarthritis

– Muscle or tendon pain eg tennis elbow, achilles tendon pain

– Sprains or strains eg knee / ankle sprain, calf strain

– Weakness / de-conditioning after injury or surgery

– Loss of confidence with movement and physical activity.

When you call, a member of the team will take your details and make an appointment for you for a telephone review with an advanced physiotherapy practitioner within two working days. The advanced practitioner will then call you back at convenient time for you, assess you over the phone and development a care plan with you. This may include offering a face-to-face appointment at Musselburgh Primary Care Centre or the East Lothian Community Hospital (Haddington).

Please note that this team can’t help with prescription requests.

If you’d like to express concerns about any hospital or local health board run services, including CWIC, CWIC Mental Health, the MSK Line or CTAC community nursing, please direct these to the NHS Lothian Patient Experience team rather than to Riverside. Thank you.